Friday 24 September 2010

Research - Paprika


"Paprika" is a film that I watched not long ago that really struck a chord with me. It's a mind-blowing film with wildly abstract concepts. The animation impressed me a lot, but the complexity of the whole thing just bewildered me slightly.

I bought the DVD recently for a fiver, and decided to watch it again. I feel that I can appreciate it a bit more now, and have also realized that there is some material in here that I can analyze for this blog.

I'll try not to go into too much detail, since this is such a complex film, but I'll give you a general idea of what this film is about. Basically it is about an organisation that have discovered a way to bridge the gap between people's dreams and reality. A man by the name of Doctor Kōsaku Tokita has created a device that is attached to an individual's head during slumber, which enables anyone to enter the dreams of the wearer. A lady by the name of Doctor Atsuko Chiba is a psychiatrist who helps patients using this apparatus, under the guise of her alter ego "Paprika".

However, a miscreant has managed to steal the secret of the device and manages to raid other people's dreams, causing havoc and danger to those caught in their trap! Who is responsible for this? Atsuko, Kosaku, Doctor Toratarō Shima and patient Detective Toshimi Konakawa try to decipher the truth behind the mind control mystery


There are many things I liked in this film that I would like to share with you. Firstly, this film revolves around people who are in danger during moments of great vulnerability. When people are asleep, they are unconscious to what is going on around them.

Also, the way the dreams are presented are fantastic. I can fully describe how, but they perfectly depict the nonsensical way dreams operate. For instance, Detective Toshimi's dream moves rapidly from one story to another. The parade, which is a continuing theme in the film, is a unnerving yet wonderful mixture of colours and brings together so many intricately animated "characters".

Near the end, dreams enter reality in a mad clash of forces. The protagonist and her alter ego meet as well, which makes an interesting turn of events. Here's where they introduce the dreamworld to the real world:





I reckon that this is an animated version of Inception, though I haven't had the good fortune to see that film yet. Perhaps I should though!

Also, check out this track. I really like the quirky mix of different musical techniques. It makes you feel a little on edge, but after a while it becomes infectiously catchy. I found myself humming this track a lot after watching this film. Care to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment